Last Thursday night at the Weight Watchers meeting in Mount Pleasant, there was a request for a refresher on Taco Soup, a filling, nutrious, very tasty soup…and most importantly LOW in points.
So Jan, the leader, went over the recipe while I wrote it up on the board. Then discussion ensued regarding the possible points change from Points to Points Plus. Well, let’s find out.
- 1 lb ground beef (95% lean) = 16 points
- 1 large white/sweet onion, diced at whatever size you like = 0 points
- 1 can black beans with juice = 10.5 points
- 1 can red/kidney beans with juice = 7 points
- 1 can white/northern/cannelini beans with juice = 7 points
- 1 can corn, drained or 1 cup frozen = 3 points
- 3 cans Rotel tomatoes =0 points
- 1 package dry ranch dressing mix = 0 points
- 1 package dry taco seasoning = 0 points
- salt, pepper, and additional taco-ish spices to your liking
Total soup points =43.5
Approximate # of 1 cup servings* = 8
*tested using the Weight Watchers 1-cup ladle and a soup tureen to count the servings.
Saute the onions in cooking spray right in your big soup pot until clear (or carmelized if you like, which I do). Dump in the ground beef and cook thoroughly. Dump in everything else: black beans, red beans, white beans, corn, tomatoes, ranch dressing mix, taco seasoning, and any other seasonings. Simmer for 30 minutes on medium low for flavors to meld together.
Old Points for WW Taco Soup = 4 points per serving
New PointsPlus for WW Taco Soup = 5.5 points per serving
- 1 lb ground turkey breast = 16 points
- 1 lb ground or shredded chicken = 16 points
- 1 lb shredded pork (bbq) = 16 points
- 1 can hominy (instead of corn) = 6 points