Sure. It’s just regular Potato Soup with cheddar cheese added, but I just learned that my younger cousins never learned our Nannie’s Potato Soup recipe. I did because it’s my mom’s “sick soup.”
- 2-4 cups of chicken stock (or veggie if you’re looking for a veg version)
- 3-4 cups of cubed potatoes – any kind or mixed, but our favorite are Yukon gold potatoes – cube them about the size of a standard set of dice
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1T pepper
- 1t salt (you can always add more, but start small)
- 1t nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy cream (or unsweetened, unflavored almond or soy milk for a veg version)
- 2 cups of your favorite cheddar cheese – any cheddar, muenster, manchego are all good choices!
This is one of my favorite soups to do in the crock pot, mainly because my chicken and veggie stock are made ahead and frozen, and I can’t ever remember to thaw them out. Using the crock pot, I can put all but the heavy cream and cheese in at once and set it on Low for 6-8 hours. It takes a little more than an hour for the frozen stock to thaw and cover the potatoes and onions and cook.
Add the cream and cheddar and let cook for about 30 more minutes. Viola – you’re ready to serve!