My best friend has her abuela’s pot for making Arroz con Pollo, but my family is much less discerning of that level of authenticity. Instead, we get close with this flavorful sausage and rice dish.
- 1 family size package of Vigo Spanish Rice (with seasonings included in the package)
- 2 lbs cooked link sausage, such as kielbasa, turkey sausage, venison sausage, etc.
- 1-2 packages of frozen peppers and onions (roughly 1-2 cups of chopped frozen or cooked peppers and onions)
- 1/2 – 1 cup whole green Spanish olives stuffed with pimentos
- 1 poblano pepper, diced (optional)
Cook the rice according to package instructions.
While the rice cooks, slice cooked sausage into coins and brown in skillet.
Note: Vigo seasoned Spanish rice is not corn-free. Use unseasoned white or yellow rice and Sazon with Saffron seasoning.
Thaw/steam frozen peppers and onions (with poblano pepper if using) in the microwave. Or, if using fresh veggies, sautee in skillet after sausage is all browned.
When rice is finished, mix in browned sausage, warmed peppers and onions, and olives. I leave my olives whole because all of my peeps like them; feel free to slice or chop yours up if you need to hide them ;-).
Serve directly from the rice pot, accompanied by fresh fruit salad or seasonal marinated vegetables.
Tip: maintain healthy overnight blood sugar by skipping the “bread on the side” with dinner when you already have rice, pasta, or potatoes. Even non-diabetics can experience unhealthy blood glucose levels when consuming extra complex carbohydrates.